Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Charcoal Chicas

I've been exploring charcoal in Kara Bullock's online class, Charcoal Like Madand have fallen in love with the medium.  Here are some faces I made using vine and compressed charcoal, white Conté pencils, and General's charcoal and charcoal white pencils:

These portraits were created using hot pressed and cold pressed watercolor paper, a plain sketchbook and black drawing paper. I also experimented with different surfaces like cardboard and pages inside a damaged book. 

I added oil pastels to a few pieces for a little more interest, learned what a brayer was and used it over yellow and red acrylic paint (see third face from the top), and made some new online friends...inspirational, die-hard charcoal fans that came with the class. They're priceless.

The plan for me is to create a new series of passionate portraits while continuing to teach and work on other projects (to be revealed at a future date).

There's a lot to be thankful for this 4th of July...freedom, family, friends and no gun shots being fired into the sky in our neck of the woods for the second year in a row. My dogs are happy.

🍃🌷🍃


6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your drawings. Amazing. How long does it take you complete one? Do you sell them? So amazing!! Patti Annunzio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PMA! I can't say how long it takes me to complete a portrait because I rarely finish in one sitting (so many interruptions). Also, I like to step away from a wip (work in progress) for a while, a day or more in some cases. This way I'm able to see it with "fresh eyes" when I return and make any adjustments if need be. Btw, I do sell my work. Just contact me for pricing if you are interested in ordering a print. Hugs! xo

      Delete
  2. Your art work is awesome! Beautiful website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Louise! I will pop in to visit you shortly. :)

      Delete
  3. I love those last two especially - you are just getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...