Monday, July 17, 2017

Finding Faces and Creating Your Own

As a kid I always loved finding faces in everyday things. We've all looked up at the clouds and noticed animal shapes and other objects floating around in the sky. On a clear night we can sometimes see "The Man in the Moon," and some people have even recognized religious figures and symbols on trees, rocks and even food. Remember the image of Jesus on toast?

Face Pareidolia is the tendency to recognize faces in inanimate objects and patterns where they don't actually exist. I still enjoy discovering these images today, but I also like creating faces of my own and sharing my love of portrait drawing with others. For the past couple of years, I've been teaching in local retirement communities, from Independent Living to Memory Care, corporate gatherings and small groups, and there's nothing like it.

After hearing participants tell me things like, "I never imagined I could draw but you really help me get it!" and "This is so much fun! I can't believe I did this!," I realized great things were beginning to happen and the experience was rewarding for all of us. With desire and discipline, a hidden talent can be discovered at any age.

I wanted to offer the same opportunity for those who were unable to attend my classes and/or wanted to learn in the privacy of their own homes. I explored the possibility of teaching online and I am happy to announce that an online version of my Portrait Drawing class will be available soon.  

The class will be open to anyone who would like to discover the joy of working with colored pencils while developing a new skill. "It's never too late to learn something new," I always say, "as long as you're able."

What do YOU think? Is there something you've always wanted to try? Is it possible to start with baby steps...a phone call, a trip to the store to buy supplies, a visit to a place that will inspire you? I'd love to know your thoughts. xo

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you post anew, Colorado my sweet. Although my only painting semi-talent is landscapes, Faces also fascinate me,Perhaps I get a boos on facial basics and see what i can do.

    Jimmy


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy! I had to think about the Colorado reference...as you capitalized it and had me thinking about the state rather than the state of my locks. I would LOVE to have you join us for the class! Just remember, no heckling the teacher!! ;)

      Delete
  2. I have not visited in so long, I've missed the posts and the portraits.
    I like the charcoal over a music sheet. I got a sad feeling though, maybe because I just wrote something sad and I'm projecting. It's a beautiful painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. APO, happy to see you back! I've missed you. I will stop by to see what you've written.

      Delete

Share your thoughts...