Saturday, July 22, 2017

It's Never Too Late

When people tell me, "I wish I could draw but I can't" or "I don't have a creative bone in my body!" I always tell them two things, "It's never too late to try something new" and "If you practice, you will get better."

"Chica Du Jour" in Charcoal and White Conté on 9" X 12" Gray Pastel Paper
Available for Purchase

In grade school we all went to art class and nobody sat out because they couldn't do it. We all did what we could and had fun doing it...and it was a nice break from all the academic subjects.



For the past couple of years I've been teaching Colored Pencil Techniques in Portrait Drawing in retirement communities, at corporate events and in private settings. What amazes me most is seeing what the oldest seniors in an Assisted Living Facility (ALF) can create with simple, step-by-step instructions and a live demo.

Having been an Administrator of an ALF for a little over six years, I keep my license active, therefore, I am able to continue working alongside Residents from Independent Living through Memory Care. It's a blessing; they're a wonderful mix of people with fascinating backgrounds and stories and they have plenty of time to explore their creativity, which is nice.

The most rewarding part of what I do is not actually seeing the completed faces (although they're amazing), but seeing the faces of those who participate in my classes. They smile and tell me thinks like, "I never thought I could draw but you made it seem easy; I actually learned something!" and "I can't believe I did this!" These types of comments inspire me and help me move forward with fresh ideas.

I once read on a box of crayons: For Ages 3-104. I love that, although I must tell you, if you're 104 and think it's almost over, I encourage you to keep moving and think outside those box of crayons!


5 comments:

  1. I wish I hadn't lost my interest in drawing and painting. I obviously need you as my teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, I wish you lived closer. Happy Weekend to you, m'dear!

      Delete
  2. My high school art teacher would not post my art work outside the classroom with the rest. When I ask her why she said,"You will never be an artist". I believed her until you and people like you encouraged me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, it's sad to hear an art teacher would do/say something like that to a kid but it still happens. It's interesting, when an adult puts down a child about something, that's usually the thing he/she ends up excelling in. You obviously have a style of your own that totally rocks and I wish your art teacher were around to see your beautiful "markerings." She'd be eating her words!

      Delete
  3. I think you have a true gift for teaching, Ily. I'm so glad you get to teach what you love!

    Oddly - I never took art classes in high school and I don't know why, since I have a certain amount of talent for line drawing (which I never do now at all.)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...